Breath of Fire
Increases physical endurance
Cleanses respiratory system, balances nervous system
Promotes focus, increases energy
How to perform Breath Of Fire
- Sit in a comfortable position. Lengthen your spine.
- Rest your hands on your knees. Close your eyes. Inhale naturally.
- Actively exhale through your nose by quickly drawing your navel in and up. Keep the rest of your body still. Inhale passively.
- Repeat this rhythmic cycle at about one breath per second; exhaling actively and inhaling passively for about 30 seconds. This is a faster breath than Shining Skull.
- Rest for a minute in Corpse.
- Lengthen spine
- Keep chin parallel to floor
- Draw navel up and in to exhale
- Inhale passively
- Relax shoulders
- Relax face
Avoid this exercise if you have high blood pressure. Stop immediately if you feel dizzy.
More yoga poses to discover
Breath Of Fire (Agni Pran in Sanskrit) is an intermediate yoga pose that belongs to the breathing exercises and seated categories. This asana targets abs and chest. Breath of fire cleanses respiratory system, balances nervous system; increases physical endurance and also promotes focus, increases energy. Refer to the illustration and instructions above for how to perform this posture correctly. Discover more yoga asanas and yogic breathing exercises in our free yoga pose directory – a visual resource for yoga teacher training students as well as practitioners of all levels. Finally, shop our best-selling Yoga Cards products!
Our exercise illustrations represent original artwork registered with and protected by the U.S. Copyright Office. Unauthorized use violators will be prosecuted. More details.